Roger Marandino - GZ Pro Team Traveling Stand-Up Fisherman
Traveling Professional Stand-Up Fisherman
Welcome to our newest member of our GZ Pro Team, Traveling Stand-up Angler Roger Marandino. Roger has been in the offshore fishing game for years, fishing in prime locations including the following:
- PEI, Canada
- Ascension Island
- Horta, Azores
- Cape Verde
- Ghana, West Africa
- Rhode Island
- North & South Carolina
- Cape Cod, Massachusetts
- North Eastern US Canyons
- Prince Edward Islands
- Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
- Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
- The Revillagigedo Islands
He has regularly fished big money tournaments, particularly the World Cup in various locations. While his primary target species are Blue Marlin & Bluefin Tuna (including Commercial Rod & Reel Bluefin fishing), he has experience catching practically all coveted pelagic species including Swordfish, White Marlin, Black Marlin, Striped Marlin, Atlantic & Pacific Sailfish as well as Yellowfin, Albacore & Big Eye Tuna - all on stand up gear.
Here is Spencer Norton, Captain of Tightline Tours in PEI, Canada, on his personal experience with Roger while Bluefin Tuna fishing: “We are a charter company fishing for giant Bluefin for over 16 years. We have taken clients from all over the world fishing for these giants on stand up. Oftentimes we will go through 3-4
anglers per fish from pure exhaustion. As a Charter Captain, it’s a breath
of fresh air when someone like Roger steps onboard to fight these big
boys, from his confidence to his technique to his all-around awareness in
bettering his game is what makes Roger at the top of the stand up world. I
had Roger fishing with us for 10 years with all types of weather
conditions and each time whatever is thrown at him he battles it and makes
it look easy! Roger is a true sportsman and absolute beast in the corner
with stand up!”
Captain Louis Roque (Captain of the Sambo out of Cape Verde as well as first mate on the Brasilia with Captain Les Gallagher out of Horta, Azores) mentioned one particular fish Roger fought out of the Azores, a 750+ Blue Marlin reeled in on stand up from over 300 meters out with the drag set to 19lbs. 10 minutes later the fish was 1 meter out where they could finally see the beast Roger had been fighting. After a bit of tug-of-war and struggle at the leader, they finally were able to give a healthy release after a 22 minute fight. Louis wrote in recollection of his discussion with Capt. Les Gallagher later on that day on Roger angling the fish, “Captain Les looked at me with some seriousness and told me he’s one of the best anglers he has seen fishing: Perfect.”
Here is Capt. Les Gallagher on this fish, found on his personal charter and business page oceanic-fishing.com: “Rare to see an angler so well prepared, perceptive and well balanced whilst making accurate and effective work of a magnificent fish doing everything a marlin can do not to get caught.”
Roger’s professional career is heavily involved in the Strength & Conditioning sector, with one of his greatest achievements being the Strength & Conditioning Coach for the Indianapolis Colts of the NFL. Here is a list of his notable achievements:
- 1993-98 University of Connecticut, Storrs, Connecticut - Master of Education Degree, Sport Biomechanics
- 2019-20 Head Strength and Conditioning Coach - New York Guardians, XFL
- 2017-19 Catapult Sports - Sr. Performance Manager, Pac12/Big 10/Big 12 Conferences
- 2015-19 Zionsville High School - Volunteer Strength Coach - Zionsville, IN
- 2012-15 Indianapolis Colts, NFL - Head Strength & Conditioning Coach
- 2011 Philadelphia Eagles, NFL - 1st Assistant Strength and Conditioning
- 1995-2011 Brown University - Providence, RI - Director of Strength & Conditioning - Duties include developing and implementing all components of Ivy League Strength and Conditioning program for the 3rd largest Athletic program in the Nation.
- 1993-1995 University of Connecticut - Storrs, Connecticut - Graduate Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach & Health Fitness and Weight Training Instructor
- 1993 University of Pacific - Stockton, California - Strength and Conditioning Internship
He also has been a speaker for many symposiums & conferences in the Strength & Conditioning sector and won many awards throughout his career due to his level of professionalism and leadership capabilities. One of his most notable personal achievements was a Three-time Drug Free National Champion of Powerlifting as well as Two-time NSCA Ivy League Coach of the Year.
We welcome Roger to the GZ team and see him as a valuable asset and liaison for GZ as he continues to travel the World seeking more stand up battles against the world’s largest fish in the sea with some of the best fishing Captains in the world.
On top of traveling around the world as a representative of GZ, he will also handle various vendor relationships for GZ Lures and will assist us with future business growth opportunities.